As its name suggests, the solar well pump is a pump that relies on solar energy to draw water from its source to the intended destination. The solar panels that generate power for the pump convert solar energy into electrical energy which runs the pumping system. These pumps are highly efficient and more reliable when compared to other types of pumps. They are not affected by power outages and can be more economical over the long haul. Some solar well pumps draw power directly from solar panels whereas others draw energy stored in batteries. The solar pump is widely used and is almost overtaking the conventional wired well pump since most people are cost-conscious and almost everyone is seeking eco-friendly energy solutions. You find these type of pumps in many areas including: aquariums, residential pools, gardening, and many others.
The solar well pumps are not only used in remote areas but they are also used by those in the modern city seeking an energy-efficient way of drawing water from its source. Some of the benefits of solar powered pumps include:
- Helps those who need to draw water in a remote area. They therefore offer a wider reach.
- Solar well pumps are easy to install when compared to other types of pumps.
- It is friendly to the environment since it does not produce harmful gases to the environment.
- Longer-lasting and more reliable.
- Cost-effective as no fuel cost involved and they require the least maintenance.
- The solar pump requires the least maintenance.
- Highly versatile. Can be used for many purposes including irrigation, drinking, plumbing, sanitation, pools, and many others.
- Constant supply of water even when there is no rain.
Choosing your Solar Well Pump
There are so many solar panels brands out there and all of them seem be similar if you are a first time buyer. The capability, quality, and price of various solar pumps differ and that means you have to consider your need before making a choice. Your budget will also affect the kind of pump you buy. Some of the factors to consider when making your choice include the following:
- Location – the region where the pump will be used should be considered.
- Pumping Distance – this refers to the horizontal distance between the water source to the desired location. It is also important to consider the distance uphill over which the water has to be lifted.
- Velocity – this refers to the gallons per minute needed at the final destination.
- Purpose – you can use a solar well pump for many purposes including: garden fountain, well-pumping, irrigation, pool filling, aeration and many others. The intended purpose affects the type of pump chosen since different applications have its unique water needs.
- Pipe diameter – the diameter of the pipe through which the water is pumped will determines the solar well pump chosen.
- Season or time of the year – what time of year are you planning to pump the water?
- Price – solar well pumps have unique prices, some cheaper and others more costly.
How to Maintain the Solar Well Pump
Solar well pumps require the least maintenance when compared to other pumps. Since they rely on solar energy, the solar panels that power the entire system should be kept clean at all times. Cleaner solar panels absorb solar energy more efficiently. In most cases, your manufacturer will provide a guideline for cleaning the solar panels. It is also important to check the solar panels and pumps regularly. This helps keep the system in good working condition and also identify potential problems early.
Best Solar Well Pumps
Read on below to see our rankings of the best solar well pumps.
10. OUSI Solar Powered Bird Fountain Kit
The OUSI Solar Powered Bird Fountain Kit is another well-constructed solar well pump from a top manufacturer, delivers the best in terms of functionality, flexibility, and versatility. The eco-friendly pump relies on direct sunlight and does not rely on electricity, batteries or any charger. It has 4 nozzle spray settings and its nozzle is removable and washable. You can use this pump for a wide number of applications including: garden decoration, small pond, pond aeration or water circulation, fish tank, or bird bath.
This is powerful solar well pump that automatically begins operating after 3 seconds in bright sunlight. It delivers a maximum flow rate of 150 L/h and can pump for a maximum height of 100cm. this kit is built to last with the solar fountain for birdbath lasting for up to 10,000 hours in service. The built-in brushless motor consumes less energy and is longer lasting.
- Automatic start after 3 seconds exposure to direct sunlight.
- Ideal for a number of operations including; garden decoration, aquariums, ponds, water circulation, bird bath, fish tank, and many others.
- Maximum water height delivered by pump is 100cm whereas max water jet height is 45cm.
- Service life for solar fountain fro birdbath is 10,000 hours.
- Comes with 4 nozzle spray settings. The nozzle can also be removed and is easy to clean.
- Product dimensions 6.3 x 6.3 x 2.2 inches. It weighs approximately 6.7 ounces.
Pros and Cons
- Highly efficient solar powered pump.
- Relies fully on sunlight. No batteries, charger or electricity required.
- The 4 nozzle spray setting is a huge advantage. Offers the best environment.
- Its nozzle is removable and easy to clean so as to prevent clogging. A new bottom cover also offers additional support in keeping off dirt and unwanted materials.
- Serves many applications.
- Offers a longer service life.
- It will not work in the absence of sunlight.
- Not the best for bigger ponds.
9. Supmovo Solar Powered Birdbath Fountain Pump
Solar powered well pumps have become more popular given the fact that they are highly versatile, reliable, and flexible. You can place a solar well pump at whichever spot you choose within the pond and you do not need to consider any wiring before installation. Energy costs have also hiked in the past and with these pumps you do not incur any electricity costs. It is also easy to maintain solar pumps. One of the pumps that stand out from the crowd is the Supmovo Solar Powered Birdbath Fountain Pump. It mainly relies on sunlight to operate and boasts a simple design. The wireless unit is easy to install, operate, and disassemble. It does not depend on electricity or any battery in order to operate.
This solar well pump can be used for a number of applications including; bird bath, water circulation, aquarium, small pond, gardening, and many others. It has a compact design that makes it easy to move it around. It also has multiple fountain heads so as to generate different water patterns. The pump’s approximated service life is 10,000 hours making it one of the longest lasting solar powered pumps.
- It is a wireless solar powered unit that does not require batteries or electricity to operate.
- Has an auto setting that gets the unit started once exposed to direct sunlight.
- You can use the unit for a wide number of applications including; bird bath, water circulation, fish tank, gardening, small pond, and many others.
- Solar panel power capability is 7V/1.4W. The panel has a diameter of 6.3 inches.
- Delivers a maximum flow of 160L/h and maximum water height of 30 to 50 cm.
- Product dimension are 7 x 6.9 x 1.8 inches and weighs 9.6 ounces.
Pros and Cons
- Reliable performance and longer lasting service.
- Compact design and convenient use.
- Easy to clean.
- Stable and highly efficient solar panel.
- It starts automatically when exposed to direct sunlight.
- Highly versatile pump. It can serve many purposes.
- Easy to install, use, and operate.
- Relies purely on sunlight. Will not work when there is insufficient sunlight.
- You cannot adjust the water flow rate.
8. Lewisia 1.5W Outdoor Solar Fountain Pump
This is a compact design solar well pump that automatically starts when exposed to sunlight. The unit comes with 4 different nozzle heads that helps it generate different visuals in the fountain. It can be used in a wide number of applications including; bird bath, gardening, water circulation, small pond, and many others. You do not use tools when installing the pump and solar and its 10 feet long cord allows for easy placement of the birdbath and panel. This pump does not rely on electricity or engine power but rather pure sunlight energy that is free and abundant. The eco-friendly pump is designed for those who are conscious of how they impact the environment.
- Solar powered pump that relies solely on sunlight.
- Available within the pump are 4 nozzle heads designed to give different nozzle views.
- Comes with a 10 foot power cord.
- Will serve various applications including; birdbath, garden decoration, small pond, water circulation, and others.
- Offers an automatic operation once the panels are exposed to sunlight.
- It comes with a filter bag that helps keep off dirt.
- Product dimensions are 6.9 x 6.6 x 2.1 inches and weighs 12 ounces.
Pros and Cons
- Highly versatile and multifunctional.
- Automatic operation for self-starting.
- Different nozzles to give different nozzle views.
- Easy to clean and install.
- Comes with a long cord.
- Highly affordable.
- It is easy to setup and does not require tools.
- Not operational in the absence of sunlight.
7. Ankway Solar Bird Bath Fountain Pump for Garden and Patio
This is designed for those who seek highly sophisticated solar pumps. This kit boasts a simplistic yet top notch design that render wiring and electric outlets unnecessary. Its design allows the kit to float freely in the pond water as it produces beautiful fountain. The pump operates automatically when exposed to direct sunlight. It is easy to clean and can freely move to different locations since it floats freely on the surface of water. In addition, there are small multiple fountain heads that produce different water patterns.
This is a highly versatile solar pump that can deliver in wide number of operations including: garden decoration, outdoor bird bath, water circulation, aquarium, small pond, and many others.
- Runs automatically without the need for a battery or electricity.
- Highly versatile unit capable of delivering in most applications.
- Works only when fully exposed to direct sunlight.
- Features multiple fountain heads that produce different water patterns. It is capable of producing 8 kinds of spraying style.
- The solar panel capability is 7V/1.4W and has a diameter of 6.3 inches.
- The brushless pump input is 4.5-10V DC.
- Delivers a maximum water flow of 40 gallons per hour.
Pros and Cons
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- Delivers a high flow rate and pressure level.
- Highly affordable.
- Moves freely within the pond.
- Highly versatile.
- Will only work when exposed to direct sunlight.
6. Danibos Solar Water Pump for Garden Pond
Most solar well pumps are rendered dysfunctional in the absence of sunlight however this is a solar well pump that fills that gap. It is a solar powered kit that comes with a solar battery which acts as a backup in the absence of sunlight. It can be used in wide number of application including; irrigation, small ponds, gardening, lawns, and many others. The solar panels that power the unit require even a little light to operate since it has the battery power backup. In terms of longevity it offers 10,000 hours of guaranteed service.
- This solar pump comes with a solar battery which can be charged for later use.
- Longer lasting service guaranteed. Delivers 10,000 hours of service.
- Multifunctional unit that can serve many purposes; garden decoration, small pond, bird bath, fish tank, and many others.
- You can use this when sun rays are dim or at night.
- Solar panel capability is 9V 1.8 w and can pump water for up to 60 cm. It starts promptly upon its exposure to sunlight.
- Product dimensions are 7.1 x 4.7 x 0.8 inches and weighs 8.8 ounces.
Pros and Cons
- The solar battery is a plus.
- Easy to assemble and clean.
- Longer lasting unit.
- Can work even at night or when sun rays are dim.
- Can irrigate an extensive piece of land.
- Consistent in operation.
- Gives a small volume fountain.
5. SIEGES Mini Solar Power Pump Kit
Next on our list of best solar well pumps worth considering is the SIEGES Mini Solar Power Pump Kit. It is a distinctively silent solar powered pump that offers a long life of service and is highly versatile. Its compact design makes it easy for the user to disguise or hide the kit. Its suction cup has mounting feet for horizontal or vertical mounting making it convenient to use. The fully sunlight powered pump is an automatic starter with the capability of pumping for up to 2.3 feet or 70cm at 9V/1.8W of solar. You can use it when fully submerged and will serve a wide number of applications including: aquariums, hydroponic systems, pond refills, spout, fountains, and many others.
This unit has an adjustable water flow rate and 4 spray heads that are replaceable. It is capable of pumping at a maximum flow rate of 60 gallons per hour. The solar panel is highly efficient and starts up faster. Included also is a 5 ft or 1.5m power cord making it easy to connect the pump to the solar panel. It delivers a all-day operation that relies only on direct sunlight. To ensure optimum operation also, peel off the plastic film protector from the surface of the solar panel. The lifespan of this pump greatly declines if it works without water for a long time. It should also be subjected to thorough cleaning regularly.
- Does not include birdbath and birdbath stand.
- Relies solely on sunlight and hence cannot work when there is insufficient sunlight.
- Its maximum flow rate is 60 GPH or 220L/H.
- It has a power capability of 1.8 watts and 9V.
- Comes with a power cord that is 5 ft or 1.5m long.
- Can pump water for up to 2.3 ft or 0.7m.
- A submersible solar pump that is ideal for most operations including; fountains, hydroponic systems, spout, aquariums, and many others.
- Comes with 4 unique spray heads that are replaceable.
- Product dimensions are 7.3 x 4.9 x 2 inches and it weighs 7.2 ounces.
Pros and Cons
- It is easy to clean.
- Quiet when in operation. Not easy to know it is in operation.
- Does not require extra power. Good energy saver and environment friendly.
- Highly efficient solar panel.
- Easy start-up and stable solar panel.
- It has a compact design hence easy to hide or disguise.
- Highly versatile. Will work well for most water pump applications.
- The water flow rate is adjustable.
- Space saving. The compact design requires a small space.
- It is affected by seasons, weather and places since it depends solely on sunlight.
4. Sunnydaze Decor Solar Water Foundation Pump and Solar Panel Kit
This submersible solar well pump ranks high when it comes to reliability, longevity, and flexibility. It comes with a 15V DC brushless pump in addition to a 16 foot cable that makes it easy for the user to place the pump anywhere within the pond. Overall dimensions of the pump are 5.5 x 3.5 inches in length and diameter respectively. The unit works well in most operations in the yard, lawn, garden, or patio.
The 2 spray head options available in the pump are ideal for customization. In terms of power capability, the pump is very powerful and can deliver a water flow of up to 132 GPH and a maximum head of 56 feet. Included also with the pump are adapters that can be used to convert electric pump to solar pump. This also helps when you need to make your own waterfall. The manufacturer also provides a 1 year warranty for the product.
- Comes with a 16 foot cable that offers maximum flexibility.
- Delivers a water flow of 132 GPH and a 56 feet max head.
- 1 year warranty provided by manufacturer.
- 2 spray head options are available.
- Submersible pump dimensions are 5.5 x 3.5 inches.
Pros and Cons
- Warranty is available.
- Comes with 2 spray heads.
- Can convert electric pump to solar pump.
- Easy to operate and maintain.
- Comes with a ground spike to make mounting easy if required.
- Does not store energy and works only when in direct sunlight.
3. ECO-WORTHY Solar Water Pump Kit
The pump delivery volume and pressure matter irrespective of whether you have a small or larger pond. A higher and fixed delivery volume may mean that a small pond will run dry after a few uses. You also need an ideal delivery pressure so that the pump can run seamlessly. The ECO-WORTHY Solar Water Pump Kit ranks high when it comes to delivery volume and delivery pressure. It can be used both in fresh and salty water applications thanks to its anti-salt, anti-corrosion capability. Its overall design is small and compact giving it the least weight. It is therefore easy to carry and operate. This pump also features a unique motor cooling technology that guarantees a longer service life.
- It is fitted with a unique motor cooling technology that allows the pump to continuously run under water.
- It can deliver a large volume under high pressure.
- The unit has been built to resist salty water and corrosion. It can work well even under salty water.
- The pump comes in a compact size, is lightweight and easy to carry as well. It therefore works best with a flexible hose.
- Suits a number of applications including: fish farm water draining, washing purposes, draining bilge and many others.
- Comes with a 2m or 6.56 ft cord.
- Comes with a 100W poly solar panel fitted with a heavy duty aluminum frame.
- The water flow per hour delivered is 1110 Gallons or 70L/min
- The unit’s service voltage is 12 VDC and the delivery head 4m or 13.1 feet maximum.
- Pump dimension are 6.3 x 3.9 inches and weighs 2.87 pounds.
Pros and Cons
- Excellent delivery pressure and delivery volume.
- Can work in seawater.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Easy to operate.
- Comes with an exceptional motor cooling technology.
- Easy to setup.
- The cord is not long enough.
2. Ledgle 5W Solar Fountain Pump
In this day and age, we seek gadgets that are energy-saving, functional, versatile, and flexible. A solar pump that can meet all these is worth having. The Ledgle 5W Fountain pump is best described as an eco-friendly, energy-saving pump that is designed to meet a wide variety of needs. It is powered by solar energy and does not require any charger or electricity to operate. It is an auto-start pump that is reliable and stable. You can easily install or disassemble the unit and this offers great advantage over other pumps. The multiple fountain nozzles also offer a number of unique spraying patterns. It also delivers a wide scope of spraying with a water flow of 380L/h. its maximum flow height is 47 inches or 120cm.
- Fully powered by solar energy and does not require a charger or electricity to operate.
- Runs automatically and pumps water easily.
- Its construction is made up of polycrystalline silicon which is safe, durable, and reliable.
- It does not have plugs or screws and hence is easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Comes with a number of fountain nozzles that offer different spray patterns. The nozzle is also easy to clean and replace.
- Can spray water for a maximum height of 47 inches and offers a flow rate of 380L/h.
- Product dimensions are 11 x 6.7 x 1.8 inches.
Pros and Cons
- Friendly to the environment.
- Easy to install and disassemble.
- Energy efficient.
- Does not require a charger or electricity to operate.
- Durable, stable, and reliable.
- Quiet when in operation.
- Works seamlessly and hence dependable.
- Offers maximum flexibility. You can easily move the unit from one location to the other.
- The flow rate is low.
1. Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit
Versatility is one of the top considerations when you need a well performing solar well pump. The Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit is rated highly given the fact that it can be used in a wide number of applications: pond aeration, irrigation, aquaculture, fountain, and many others. The kit is delivered with the panel and hence it is cheaper, easier and much more convenient to setup. Some of its notable features include: a brushless magnetic motor that can be fully submerged in water, a removable filter and an easy connector. The pump’s overall design makes it one of the best to use in aquatic water since it is friendly to aquatic life.
In terms of power capability, this pump is one of the best solar pumps. It is powered by 12-24 Volt direct current that is supplied freely by the sun. The solar panels are 20 watt making the kit the great for a wide number of applications. The magnetic motor is capable of performing for up to 20,000 hours which is a long life when compared to similar solar kits. It is also important to note that the pump is fully submersible even in salty or fresh water. It is also silent when in operation making it a good choice for those who dislike noisy units. The solar panel and pump are also connected by a 16 feet cord which offers maximum flexibility to the user. The unit does not require any battery or electric wiring. It fully relies on sunlight.
- Fully powered by solar energy.
- Comes with 16 ft long cord for connecting pump and solar panel.
- Has 20 watt solar panel.
- Battery is not included.
- Ideal for many applications: aquaculture, greenhouses, boating, garden projects, off grid water pumping applications, pond circulation, aquariums, pools, and many others.
- Comes with a brushless magnetic motor with guaranteed long life, up to 20,000 hours.
- Fully submersible in salty of fresh water.
- Includes 2 nozzle spray patterns.
- Covered by 1 year warranty.
- Its maximum flow rate is 259 GPH at 12 V, at 18V is 356GPH, and 412GPH at 24V. In terms of ft it delivers up to 3.25 ft at 12V, 10.5 ft at 24V and 6.9 ft at 18V.
Pros and Cons
- Not noisy.
- Fully submersible in both fresh and salty water.
- Comprehensive warranty.
- Long connector cord for the panel and pump.
- Friendly to aquatic life.
- Longer life span, 20,000 hours guaranteed.
- Does not require wiring.
- Cheap to run and maintain. Uses free sunlight.
- Does not have a battery.
- May not be functional in absence of sunlight.
A Final Word
The best solar well pumps discussed above are designed to give great service and serve a wide variety of applications. These pumps may differ in design, size, brand, or mode of operation. However, they all rely on sunlight to operate. It would be wise to go for a versatile, flexible, and longer lasting pump.