Well pumps have been in use from the onset of human existence. Proven records have shown how ancient inhabitants such as those of Mesopotamia utilized well pumps. Over the years, the designs, shapes, brands, and models of well pumps have changed immensely. However, one thing that has always remained unchanged is its purpose. Currently, there are so many brands in the market and each has something unique to offer. Well pumps, as useful as they are, also come with their challenges. Any simple mistake in well pump selection or installation can lead to irreversible damages: well abandonment, huge repair and replacement costs, lack of water, and contaminated water. You should therefore ensure everything is done right from the beginning to the end: pump type selection, installation, and then maintenance.
Choose a reputed manufacturer and ensure they offer additional services such as regular replacement and routine checks and maintenance. BurCam is one of the well pump manufacturers who have a good reputation when it comes to the supply of excellent quality well pumps. One of its models, the BurCam 506547SS Shallow Well Jet Pump has taken many by surprise. It boasts with impressive features.
Some Common Problems with Wells and Well Pumps
Well pumps and wells experience a number of problems including:
- Loss of power – those who use electric well pumps usually experience a decline in water supply whenever there is a power outage. These pumps rely on electricity to work and that is why it becomes a challenge to fill the water reservoir when there no power. In other instances, the breaker of the pump is blown off. Whenever there is a problem associated with power, check out the breaker in the electrical box. You can then turn it on. If it has not been switched off then switch it off and follow the instructions for troubleshooting power issues on your pump.
- Low water table – periods of dry spells and drought lead to lack of water in the well. This problem can easily identified by the spitting and sputtering of water from the tap. Other signs include dirty or muddy water and change in taste. Such a problem might disappear once there is rainfall or it may mean the pump needs to be pushed deeper in order to draw from the water table.
- Pump Size – at times well pump problems may occur as a result of the use of an inadequate pump size. The household water usage should match with the pump’s capability. The size of the pump is determined by the size of the plumbing system, number of appliances in use, and the number of faucets available.
- Overworking the water pump – an adequately sized pressure tank should be chosen in line with your household needs. That way the pump will not be overworked since the tank eases the pump’s burden of supplying more water.
- Sediments – sediments can cause serious problems on your well and pump. The abrasive effect inflicted by these particles on bearings and other components. Substances such as hard water minerals, tiny stones, and other debris block water flow and can even damage the completely.
About the BurCam 506547SS Shallow Well Jet Pump & Tank
The BurCam 506547SS Shallow Well Jet Pump & Tank is one of those well pumps designed not only to deliver as expected but also beyond expectations. It has a ¾ HP motor that powers the entire system delivering a flow rate of 7 GPM. The pump is made of stainless steel and is resistant to rust. This also ensures good quality water is delivered to your household. The butyl bladder prevents condensation and the pump is extremely light weight and portable. It is the best for drawing water from wells of 25 feet or less.
- It is a ¾ HP stainless steel well pump.
- 1-inch inlet connection.
- Has an inside diameter of 1 inch.
- Has a maximum flow rate of 16 gallons per minute.
- Stainless steel construction.
- Has a butyl bladder will prevents condensation.
- Ideal for wells of 25 feet or less deep.
- 955 gallons item volume.
- 2 year limited warranty.
- Weighs 24 pounds.
- Product dimension: 16 x 16 x 16 inches.
- Excellent performance for wells of 25 feet or less.
- It is not bulky. Needs little effort to carry and install.
- Delivers clean uncontaminated water to where it is required thanks to its stainless steel construction which is resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Its powerful motor guarantees a constant and seamless supply of water to where it is needed.
- It has a 2 year limited warranty which is a plus.
Pros and Cons
- Well-built and easy to install.
- Light in weight and portable.
- Resistant to corrosion and rust.
- Runs quietly.
- Very efficient.
- Does not affect other electrical appliances such as lights when in operation.
- Assembly instructions are only for the pump and not for the entire unit.
The BurCam 506547SS Shallow Well Jet Pump gives satisfactory results and delivers as expected. According to one of the buyers who had earlier installed some other pump, this well pump did not dim the lights when in operation the way the former pump did. It also works quietly such that one cannot know if it is even on. I found the construction to be superb, and it was very easy to install.
A Final Word
The BurCam 506547SS is one of those well pumps that can best described as highly performing and quality for money. It ranks among the best when compared to other pumps based on price and efficiency. It has been built to last and its stainless steel construction secures the unit from natural elements that cause abrasion, corrosion or rust. You are therefore guaranteed of supply of good quality clean water. To avoid some common mistakes that many face when it comes to the installation of well pumps, choose an excellent quality pump and buy it from a manufacturer who does not end the business relationship upon delivery of the pump. There are more serious things that follow pump purchase and installation: repair, maintenance, and replacement. A good manufacturer should be able to provide all these services.