If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
What in particular comes to mind when you hear the term shallow well pump? You probably think it is a pump meant for drawing water from water collected on a shallow surface. Well, that is not far from the truth but do not be fool by the word shallow. The shallow well pump can draw water from depths of up to 25 feet. This kind of pump is utilized in various sectors for specific purposes. Households in particular find shallow well pumps to be the most useful since no one these days has the time or energy for manually drawing water from a well. The Flotec FP4012-10 ½ HP Shallow Well Jet Pump comes fully-packed with some impressive features. It is one of those pumps designed for the savvy well pump user.
Benefits of Shallow Well Pumps
- Shallow well pumps have the capability of drawing water from wells of up to 25 feet.
- Optimum pressure – these pumps maintain water pressure and generate sufficient psi for great performance when they are well installed. As a matter of fact, most modern shallow well pumps have more power which maintains the pressure.
- Easily available and are a no-brainer to install.
- They feature heavy duty motors which are designed to withstand even the most demanding water users.
- They make it easy for households to draw and direct water from their wells to the house.
- Shallow well pumps are fitted with pressure boosters which are designed in order to increase pressure. This ensures more water is drawn in order to meet the needs of the household.
- Most shallow well pumps are capable of moving 1000 gallons of water per hour.
- Usually made of high quality material and do not require a lot of maintenance.
- They come with built-in safety features.
- They are dependable.
- Shallow well pumps have made it possible to get a continuous supply of clean water in areas where it was near impossible to get even a drop of the life-giving water.
About the Flotec FP4012-10 ½ HP Shallow Well Jet Pump
The Flotec FP4012-10 ½ HP well jet pump is designed to meet the needs of those with wells of 25 feet or less. It comes with a ½ HP motor with pumping capability of 10 GPM at 40 PSI. The pump is made of fiberglass-reinforced plastic which is resistant to abrasion and corrosion. It also has a dust-proof cover that secures its electrical components from insects and dust. Other notable features of this shallow well pump include: a stainless steel shaft, insulated motor windings, heavy duty ball bearings, a mechanical shaft, and a balanced rotor. It is light weight and takes little effort to carry and install.
- Comes with an electric cord.
- 1 Hp motor and a power of 100 volts.
- Pressure switch included.
- Stainless steel shaft.
- Balanced rotor.
- Industry grade ball bearings.
- Insulated motor windings.
- 10 GPM at 40 PSI performance capability.
- Has a dust-proof cover which protects the electrical components from dust and insects.
- Is made of a thermoplastic construction.
- Covered by a one year limited warranty.
- Weighs 23.5 pounds.
- Dimensions: 6 x 7 x 11 inches.
- Efficiently draws water from wells of 25 feet or less.
- Works by self-priming after the initial filling of water on the pump housing.
- Resistant to corrosion and abrasion thanks to its thermoplastic construction. This is also resistant to sandy water.
- Its motor lasts long since it is well secured from dust and other unwanted materials.
- The powerful motor operates non-stop for many years.
- Excellent water pumping capabilities. Delivers a flow rate of 10 GPM at 40 PSI.
- Since the pump components are well secured, the pump is easy to maintain. Frequent fixes are not required.
Pros and Cons
- Durable unit.
- Longer lasting motor.
- Quality for money.
- Electric cord included.
- Very reliable.
- Has a warranty.
- Light weight hence easy to carry and install.
- Works by self-priming after the initial priming.
- Superior performance.
- Runs quiet.
- Fast priming.
- Holds its prime even after there is a power outage.
- Works great.
- Resistant to corrosion and sandy water.
- Nozzle and venture are resistant to corrosion.
- No check valve.
Overall, the Flotec FP4012-10 ½ HP shallow well jet pump is efficient and reliable. The pump runs quietly and without any problems. It should be noted that there are two quarter inch plugs on the front of the pump; these needs to be removed and Teflon tape reapplied and then re-tightened. One buyer pointed out that the Flotec FP4012-10 cost him less than half the cost of his initial pump. He further says it is quieter, has more pressure and fills the tank faster than what he had initially.
Moreover, I’ve found that the pre-set pressure of 50 psi is more than enough for any outdoor water need such as: garden watering, car washing, lawn sprinkling, and many others. And you know what I found out? The Flotec FP4012-10 shallow well jet pump held its prime even after a power outage was experienced. That was certainly something good to find out.
However on the negative side, the pump does not include a check valve.
A Final Word
Flotec has built a good reputation in the world of well pumps. It is known for its wide variety of pump models. The Flotec FP4012-10 ½ HP well pump has been designed specifically to meet the needs of those with shallow wells. It works greatly in catering for various water needs including: lawn watering, car washing, household water needs, farm irrigation, and many others. This is one of those pumps that will guarantee a long term and uninterrupted supply of water for your specific needs.