If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
An investment in a well pump does not end with the completion of the installation process. Well pumps have to be monitored and checked regularly so as to avoid problems that may emerge when it is too late. And even though it is apparent that all well pumps are subjects of natural deterioration, it is also possible to minimize some avoidable problems by buying a good quality well pump from reputable manufacturers. If you have been around for a while, then the name Goulds can never sound unfamiliar to you. It is one of those global manufacturers of well pumps that lead as others follow. Its collections of shallow, deep, and submersible pumps have won the hearts of many. The Goulds J5S Shallow Well Jet Pump, as its name suggests, is one of their models that has all we desire from a reliable well pump. It is a top performer and has been built to last.
Common Problems in Wells and Well Pumps
With time, a high yielding well loses its water pumping rate. This is a common problem in almost all wells, more so, in wells that were not developed well during the drilling process. Water production may also reduce or cease from a well that was just built recently as a result of reduced water levels. The water level decline can occur as a result of drought or even over-pumping.
Some other factors that lead to decline in water yield include the following:
- Pump damage.
- Sand pumping.
- Accumulation of mineral deposits.
- Growth of microorganisms.
- Sand, gravel or rock saturation at water source.
If any of these happens, the water yield will decline and hence well restoration will be required. A well professional is in a good position of evaluating your well then take the corrective action to eliminate the problem. Some of the red flags that show your pump or well needs attention include the following:
- Reduced pumping rate.
- Decreased water level.
- Decrease in total well depth.
- Cloudiness or too much sand and sediments.
- Reduced specific capacity.
Well rehabilitation involves two things: chemicals can be used to dissolve the materials or a physical clean-up is undertaken.
About the Goulds J5S Shallow Well Jet Pump
The Goulds J5S is one of those shallow well pumps that will impress you from the day you first use it. It is one of the best well pumps in the market today, built with a superior ½ HP, 115/230V dual voltage motor, and a solid cast iron body and stainless steel shaft. Its plastic tubing is made of a corrosion resistant material. The pump is also fitted with an FDA approved impeller, made of glass filled Noryl which is resistant to abrasion and rust. Furthermore, this shallow well jet pump is self-priming after the initial priming.
- ½ HP motor.
- Flow rate 3500 RPM.
- A dual voltage of 115/230 volts.
- 1 inch discharge outlet.
- A separate AV22 Kit required.
- Single Phase 60 Hz.
- Convertible and with the right Goulds Pumps fittings it works perfectly on both shallow and deep wells.
- Has a back pullout design meant to eliminate any disturbance on the piping when servicing.
- It has two compartments for motor access when need be for replacement or checking wiring.
- Made with corrosion resistant tubing and fittings. These can also be removed easily for cleaning.
- An abrasion and corrosion resistant impeller made of glass filled Noryl. It has also been approved by FDA.
- Its diffuser has a stainless steel wear ring that guarantees extended performance.
- Powered by continuous operation. The ratings of the pump are within recommended limits.
- An adjustable pressure switch that comes preset for 30 to 50 psi.
- Weighs 60 pounds.
- Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches.
- Ideal for home water supply, farms, irrigation, and boosting applications.
- Ideal for well applications that require a jet in the well.
- Draws water without any interruptions.
- Self primes after the first priming hence it is reliable.
- It will last longer than expected. It is resistant to corrosion and abrasion.
Pros and Cons
- Operates continuously without damage.
- Easy to clean.
- Good water pressure and yield.
- Very easy to install.
- Easy to access the motor wiring for routine checks and maintenance.
- Re-primes itself after the initial priming.
- Great air handling ability.
- Corrosion resistant.
- There are no cons I could find while reviewing this product.
Most of the buyers are impressed with this shallow well jet pump and are quick to point out that it should be the only pump to buy if anyone wants a shallow well jet pump. For instance, one buyer who could no longer bear with the pounding, whistling, and pounding of his 13-year old pump bought this pump. The pump was delivered quickly and was really easy to install. He was astounded by how quiet the pump is and he feels this was the smartest purchase he ever made. A second buyer says this is the only pump to buy if you want to get a good shallow well pump. He says those who buy any other types of pumps will be disappointed a year after their purchase.
Another buyer who bought the well pump as a replacement to a lower quality pump he had, says he is well pleased with the performance of the unit. He says he now enjoys better pressure and more volume.
A Final Word
If you take any investment seriously, then getting an excellent quality shallow well pump such as the Goulds J5S Shallow Well Jet Pump can be one of your smartest moves. It is an excellent quality pump designed to meet the needs of the buyer who desires to enjoy the benefits of both a shallow and deep well pump. It can simply be fitted with the right Goulds pumps fittings and there and then you can pump water from a deeper well.